Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Interesting choice of quotes, Mike

I've mentioned Mike Beard before, and the fact that his organization (Coalition to Stop Gun Violence) openly advocates a government monopoly on force. In a way, I had to (grudgingly) respect that--at least, I thought, CSGV wasn't trying to hide it's liberty-suppressing goals behind talk of stopping with "reasonable restrictions."

This week
, however, in exhorting his fellow advocates of forcible citizen disarmament to take a more active role in working to undermine the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental, absolute human right of the individual to keep and bear arms, he seems to borrow heavily from Big Brother's "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength" slogan.

I refer specifically to Beard's audacity in quoting Frederick Douglass to inspire attacks on freedom. The particular quote at the end is especially bizarre:

Otherwise, our fate has already been written by Douglass: "Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."
One problem here is that Beard has cut the quote off unfinished. In fact, he didn't even finish the sentence, and a look at the part he omitted makes clear why he felt compelled to pretend that that part was never said.

Let's look at the whole thing, shall we?
Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
Obviously, as president of a group that advocates a government monopoly on force, Beard can't very well talk about resisting tyrants with blows--he wants to destroy the people's ability to strike those blows.

At one point in Beard's call for action, he states that to succeed in disarming America, the citizen disarmament advocates "will have to get [their] hands dirty." I would say that if they succeed, nothing will ever remove the stain from their hands.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those stains are removed as the body decomposes.

I know...not a statement worth of a filthy prag such as I.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

I know...not a statement worth of a filthy prag such as I.

Now, now, Mr. Smith--you know that I haven't sunk to that level of vitriol against the pragmatists, my disagreements with them notwithstanding.

I think you've urged me in the past to get over the bitterness of that disagreement. Probably good advice. Are you heeding it yourself?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant to be humorous. I should avoid that as it does get me in trouble.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Ah--my mistake.

the pistolero said...

One problem here is that Beard has cut the quote off unfinished. In fact, he didn't even finish the sentence, and a look at the part he omitted makes clear why he felt compelled to pretend that that part was never said.

More gun-grabber dishonesty. I. Am. Shocked.

Rustmeister said...

Good catch!