Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Gun sales up; crime down

Before writing this column, I had considered borrowing John Lott's "More Guns, Less Crime" title, but actually, my point is somewhat different from his. I am not trying to claim that crime is reduced by more widespread firearm ownership. I acknowledge the possibility, and the obvious fact that Lott has done a far more thorough and rigorous study of the numbers than I ever will, but I personally have some doubts that violent crime numbers bear much relation at all to firearm ownership numbers. There can be little doubt that violent crime has trended steadily down for the last couple decades, while the number of privately owned firearms has increased by millions per year over the same time period--if there is any such relationship, it is clearly in the direction argued by Lott.

In the end, though, I argue that the numbers are beside the point--that point being that self-defense is a human right. Inevitably, some will use the most effective self-defense tools (firearms) for aggression, rather than self-defense. I claim that their abuse of their rights has zero bearing on whether or not anyone else's rights should be recognized. [More]
That's today's St. Louis Gun Rights Examiner. Hope you find it worth a read.

2 comments:

PolyKahr said...

Kurt,

Great post. I linked to it. Also a great use of Jeff Snyder's A Nation of Cowards. That book did more to clarify my thinking, not only about guns (the theme of the book) but about all our Natural rights.

Best wishes,
PolyKahr

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Thanks, PK. "A Nation of Cowards" is one of the most important books I've read. I bought it years ago, read it several times, and then passed it on to another gun rights activist. It didn't take me long to realize I needed to keep a copy of my own, so I got another. I refer to it quite often.