Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Big Brother Lautenberg at it again

This isn't my first time talking about Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ), and is unlikely to be the last. Today's Lautenberg-led attack on the Second Amendment comes in the form of S. 2935, to require keeping federal records of gun sales for six months, rather than twenty-four hours (and if the sale is made to someone on the "terrorist watch list"--a list rapidly approaching 1 million names--the record is kept ten years).

The text is not yet available on the Thomas site (by the way, is it just me, or is the Thomas site very slow to load these days?). Lautenberg does have a gloat page press release, though (excerpt):

WASHINGTON, DC – Today, U.S. Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg (D-NJ) introduced legislation to preserve records of gun sales for longer periods of time to aid law enforcement officials in preventing gun crimes and terrorist acts. Under current law, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) must destroy these records in most cases within 24 hours of allowing a gun sale to proceed. In addition, the FBI currently destroys records of gun sales to known and suspected terrorists within 90 days.
The name of this charming bit of tyranny? Preserving Records of Terrorist and Criminal Transactions (PROTeCT) Act of 2008. So . . . we're keeping records of all gun sales through licensed dealers, and calling all such sales "Terrorist and Criminal Transactions," eh? Does anyone have any doubts about what the senator thinks of gun owners?

The bill has seven cosponsors so far, none of whom will come as a surprise to anyone.

The Brady Bunch is, of course, appropriately giddy. Another "first step common sense gun law," I presume. I've lost track, would that be about the twenty-three thousandth "first step"?

By the way, blogging might be light and sporadic for a while--my mother is having surgery today, and what they find will determine if she needs to start chemotherapy. My attention is thus going to be on matters other than gun politics for the immediate future. Who knows--maybe I'll feel like sticking with this, to help keep my mind off other things, but if I quiet way down for a time, that's why.

9 comments:

Mike said...

Best of luck to you and your mother. I went through the same thing not too long ago.

Yuri Orlov said...

I hope everything goes well with your mother. I've gone through the same thing with mine. Lucky for us, she's still here, but she's not in good health. I don't know how much longer we have.

Don said...

Don't be obstinate about calling gun owners terrorists and criminals. The catchy acronym won't work otherwise.
Do you want that on your hands?

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

The catchy acronym won't work otherwise.
Do you want that on your hands?


The acronym has another problem, anyway--it seems to start the word "and" with the letter "e."

By the way, Mr. O and Yuri--thank you for your concern. I hope things are working out for you, Mr. O. Yuri, I'm very sorry to hear about your mother's poor health.

My Mom's surgery went very well today, I'm told, and the surrounding tissue looks very good. There are some tests to do before it's known if she'll need chemo, but all in all, I feel much better about things than I did just 8 hours ago.

Anonymous said...

Positive thoughts headed your direction--if your Mom is anything like you (or is that supposed to be the other way around) I'm sure she'll fight like hell if need be, but hopefully you get good news.

JR in Wichita (Allthewayto11)

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Good to hear from you, AlltheWay--I haven't been spending much time at the 1911 forum lately (not because of any issues with the forum--just kind of drifted to other things). I appreciate your support.

Anonymous said...

Thoughts and prayers for your mother's complete recovery. My mother has faced it twice, and the test to see if they got it all is the day before Mothers Day. Needless to say, we're anxious.

And prayers for your strength, too.

Mike said...

I'm very glad to hear that you got some good news (about your mom). This sort of thing seems to be happening a lot lately, especially to people that I know.

Yuri: spend as much time with her as you can. I know that it's tough to watch someone that you know & love endure that kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

Praying for your mom.