Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Brady Bunch's war on . . . paint?

The good news, as I see it, is that if Paul Helmke is reduced to complaining about the color of guns, the dreadful "epidemic of gun violence" we hear so much about must not be nearly as bad as some would have us believe.

But now, in a case of life imitating "art," we read about a company in Wisconsin promoting "a rainbow of candy-colored paints" -- including bright pink, green, even something called "Barney Purple" -- to make guns look like toys. The company will even send you a kit to paint your own guns. Another report says a different Wisconsin gun dealer charged $200 to paint an AK-47 "Pepto-Bismol pink," and put the cartoon character "Hello Kitty" on the stock.
The "company in Wisconsin" Helmke refers to is Lauer Custom Weaponry. Lauer has recently tweaked rabidly anti-gun (and anti-gun paint, apparently) NYC Mayor Michael Bloomfield's nose with the release of a line of gun coloring kits called "The Bloomfield Collection"--five colors, named after the five boroughs of New York. Judging from the reaction of the citizen disarmament crowd, Lauer successfully struck a nerve.

This has already been well covered at Snowflakes in Hell, Days of Our Trailers, and especially at Sharp as a Marble (and I once wrote about an even more restrictive proposed law in Illinois). The obvious point is that banning the process will have exactly zero effect on a criminal who (for whatever reason) decides to try to make his gun more brightly colored (and here I thought that the reason handguns are singled out for such hatred by the citizen disarmament crowd is that they are readily concealable), he can do so with a can of spray paint.

Are we going to ban that, too (I mean outside of California)?

3 comments:

Don said...

I picked up a Dura-Coat kit from Lauer over the summer, thinking I'd re-do my P220 in black, but I've never found the time. It's still sitting there.

I thought if it went well, I might do my poor old Ithaca 37, but that gun's got a lot of history. I'm not sure I can do it.

Anyway, I enjoy watching them make Bloomberg mad.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Anyway, I enjoy watching them make Bloomberg mad.

I assume you mean that you enjoy watching them make Bloomberg angry--endeavoring to make him mad would be an exercise in redundancy.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

P.S. I've never shot a Sig P220, but I've also never talked to anyone who has had one who didn't think the world of it--is it safe to assume that you're a fan, as well?