Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sleeping 'under the blanket of protection'

Over a year ago, inspired by one of my more insightful commenters, who pointed out perhaps the most egregious example yet of police being viewed as somehow more trustworthy with firearms than the general populace, I wrote one of my better posts--"'Assault weapons' vs. 'Patrol rifles.'"

Then, in May, that post generated a bravely anonymous comment of its own. This comment, though vastly less insightful than Straightarrow's, does pack a great deal of amusement value.

Anonymous said...

Hey LibertyPlease, you sleep at night under the blanket of protection the police provide you then you question how it is provided. I suggest you strap on a gun and do it yourself or just say thank you, either way I don't give a damn what you think. Maby you should give out your home address so all the evil in this country can come to where you and your family live and you can hold their hands and sing kum bi ya with them. Of course the occupiers as you call them won't be there to stand selflessly between you and them!
I had planned to talk about that "blanket of protection," but somehow forgot about it, until a recent comment made fun of it.

It occurs to me that one of (the many) things I like about David Codrea's War on Guns is his use of recurring themes--"Only Ones," "Authorized Journalists," etc. to illustrate his points. I've always thought I should adopt a similar technique, but never came up with anything I really liked--until now. Please join me under the "Blanket of Protection" (the link won't point to much yet, obviously).

David's "Only Ones" references have drawn criticism (unjustified, in my view) that he is "anti-cop," when his point is simply that the badge is no guarantee of either competence or nobility of purpose, and to attempt to deny people--to any degree--the right to defend their lives, their homes, their families, and their freedom, simply because they lack such a badge, is well beyond misguided--it's evil.

With my "Blanket of Protection" posts, I may well start drawing similar criticisms, despite having a goal far different from "cop-bashing." My point is that I never asked for the "Blanket of Protection," and ask only not to be interfered with in my efforts to protect myself.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not asking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always maintained the law enforcement officials don't have more authority, just more responsibilities. A badge does NOT make you any better that anyone else. And I carried a badge for many years.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

And I carried a badge for many years.

Judging by your comment (which is, after all, the only thing I have by which to make such a judgment), you were a credit to that badge.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, 45