Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Ya' know what? Hell with it

I've been complaining lately (here and here) about the BATFE's insistence on treating the attachment of a handle to a pistol--absent scads of paperwork and a not insignificant loss of privacy--as an offense worthy of ten years in federal prison and a quarter of a million dollar fine.

I made the mistake of exploring ways to appease them--I had hoped to find the easiest way to earn a diligence award from them. It's tempting--I want my crazy (perhaps goofy, even) .50 Beowulf AR pistol with a vertical foregrip, and I don't want to incur the wrath of the feds.

However, a funny thing happened as I was on my way to my jackboot-licking session--I discovered that some of the people I most admire seem to think I'm better than that. It's not that David or anyone else took me to task for my intended Neville Chamberlainesque approach to exercising that which shall not be infringed--it's that I cannot in good conscience accept accolades from this kind of man while simultaneously saying, "My--that's some especially tasty jackboot polish you're wearing today, Acting Director Sullivan."

So, as I said in the title--hell with it. Maybe I'll attach a foregrip, or maybe I won't--I'm not going to confess to a federal "crime" in public. More importantly, though, I'm not going to confess to being a good little subject, either.

7 comments:

B Smith said...

Oh, I'm a f*cking lousy subject, myself. I figure that prob'ly makes me a better citizen.

Anonymous said...

"The law is an idiot." -- found that attributed to Shakepeare, though I can't find a definitive source.

I found your previous mention of a bipod interesting, since it so obviously can double as a foregrip in a pinch. And then there's the "taco" grip, which isn't exactly like using a foregrip, but along the same principle.

Really, why the hell BATFU wants people to have less control over their firearms is beyond me.

But I suppose them VFG's are scary.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Can you explain this "taco" grip? I've seen the term before, but I have no idea what it means.

B Smith said...

I think taco grip refers to bracing the pistol by cupping your weak hand 'taco-style' over a scope or optical sight atop the gun.

Welshman said...

Hey, man, where did you get to? You didn't get so mad that you just disappeared for a while, did you?

I understand being upset, believe me. But your voice is too valuable to go missing.

Don't let those jackbooted thugs get to you. They may win some battles here and there, but they have not won the war, and many of us out here have no intention of allowing them to do so.
Martyn

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Thanks,
I'm not going anywhere--just took the weekend off. I'll be back making noise tomorrow.

Welshman said...

Ok, good! I was just checking...didn't mean to nose in on your weekend off...lol.

Hope you enjoyed it!
Martyn