Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Fighting the scourge of . . . toy gun "violence"?

Just noticed this article in the Chicago Tribune (registration required), about an Aurora, Illinois ban on toy guns. Apparently, the anti-gun bed-wetters are so frightened of the "gun culture" that they can't even stand the idea of kids pretending to exercise the right to keep and bear arms.

It seems that even some of the city council members who support the law are a bit confused about what it does, as can be seen here:

"This is about the kids and keeping the guns out of kids' hands," said Ald. Stephanie Kifowit (3rd Ward). "This ordinance unequivocally keeps them out of kids' hands."
Actually, Stephanie, no--it doesn't. For one thing, it will not stop anyone who chooses to ignore the law (the law which, in any case, does not deal with guns anyway, but with toys).

The police chief, William Powell, thinks the idea is just peachy:
"Still, the ordinance sends 'a strong message that these guns aren't wanted here," he said. "Anytime we're going to outlaw guns, I'm for it, because I've seen what guns have done to our community."
Actually, Chief, you mean the ordinance sends a strong message that these toys aren't wanted there. Also, if he's for outlawing guns, I wonder what other Constitutionally guaranteed human rights he'd like to rescind--Fourth Amendment, maybe? It certainly would be easier to find all those nasty toys that have wrought such carnage in Aurora (Aurora should be much safer now) if the police weren't hampered by that awkward "due process" crap. The First Amendment might have to go, too--what if someone draws a picture of a nasty old gun, and frightens these sheep to death?

The anti-gun extremists won't rest while there's a lawfully armed private citizen left in the country--evidently, they can't even allow simulated armed citizens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not necessarily like toy guns; I think they generally teach bad habits. I had a couple waterguns growing up, but nothing that looked like a M4 or a 1911. I shot my first pistol at age 5; my son has been similarly trained and shot my Browning Buckmark at age 6. If parents used toy guns as a training device (like I use my AirSoft pistol with my son) I wouldn't have so much of a problem with this issue. However, both parents and kids often look at me a little strange when I tell a child not to point it at me/keep the muzzle in a safe direction and keep their finger off the trigger. Once I explain, some parents understand and some don't (it's the latter ones I worry about). In any event, the government purporting to ban toy guns is just another example of the nanny state run amok. Incessant fingerpointing instead of the necessary introspection--it makes me sick.

Allthewayto11.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Your point about the habits learned from playing with toy guns is valid. As you said, it's the government mandating what toys kids can have that I find deeply objectionable.