Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Some Canadian women learning the value of being armed

I was surprised to see that although obtaining a permit to carry a firearm in Canada is difficult (and for women, apparently almost impossible), some are going through the necessary process to obtain non-resident permits in the U.S.

The Utah permit is the one specifically mentioned in the article. Although not valid in Canada, of course, it is recognized in about 30 states in the U.S. Perhaps more importantly, obtaining these permits provides a means of applying some leverage on Canadian politicians, to push for more progressive gun laws there.

"I have sent the prime minister an e-mail to say that I find it curious that, as a woman, I'd be allowed as a visitor into the United States, I'd be allowed to carry a weapon — a concealed firearm to protect myself and my children — but that I don't have that same right in Canada," she said.
Perhaps I should not have been surprised--an ever growing number of Americans carry firearms to protect themselves and their families from predatory criminals--why would Canadians be any less proactive about self-defense?

I wish the best of luck to the Canadian gun rights movement--no one should have to live in a state of government mandated defenselessness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...are we a province of Canada, or a state in the U.S.?

'Twould seem we fit better in Canada!

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

We would need a better hockey team, though ;-)

me said...

Am I the only one concerned that foreigners can get a permit here?

I'm all for people getting them, well...at least it's a step in the right direction, we shouldn't require them at all but that's a discussion for another day. I can see out of state residents who are citizens of OUR country, but Canadians, maybe some Mexicans next, then Iraqis and Iranians.

They aren't used to operating under our laws. I'm not quite sold on the concept. I think they should focus more effort on changing the laws there.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

I'm not sure how many countries have the kind of relationship with the U.S. that would allow the criminal background check that Utah performs on applicants (I'm a little surprised that even Canadians can provide Utah with everything they need).