Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

2nd Amendment Carnival IX, plus unrelated rant

I usually take Sundays off (not for religious reasons--just because it seems as good a day as any to enjoy my inherent laziness), but I'm going to take a minute to post a brief note of thanks to Free Constitution, for including Armed and Safe in Second Amendment Carnival IX. Lots of great stuff to read over there, and it's an honor to be included among that group.

Now for the "rant" part. I don't think I've left much doubt that I don't in the least like anti-gun bigots. It seems to me, though, that traitors to the Second Amendment--those who are unabashedly firearms enthusiasts, but who as hunters, think their best chance of keeping their guns is to throw the rest of us under the bus--deserve an even larger measure of contempt. Meet Jim Zumbo.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.
Please, someone who can manage more tact than I can in my current state of agitation--please educate this clown.

EDITED TO ADD: Just noticed that War on Guns is already onto our traitor. Sorry for the duplication, David.

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD: Leaving a comment is kind of satisfying (I know I felt better once I did), but it might be more valuable to drop a line to his editors, telling them that Zumbo is costing them subscriptions.

0 comments: