Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ray of hope for an end to victim disarmament in Oregon?

A bit of good news--the Oregon school district that wants to continue to mandate that its schools be victim disarmament zones was rebuffed in its attempt to deny Shirley Katz her day in court.

After a day-long hearing, a judge said he would not dismiss her lawsuit against the school district.

Jackson County Circuit Judge G. Philip Arnold said he would issue a written opinion on Ms Katz's claim that Medford School District policy prohibiting teachers from carrying weapons on school grounds violated state law.
I find the opening of the article rather interesting.
As America reeled from a series of shootings and school massacre plots, Ms Katz won the first round of her legal bout for the right to carry her 9mm Glock pistol on to school grounds.
Personally, I find this demonstration of the reality of the threat of psychopaths in schools to be the best illustration of the utter evil of mandating helplessness, but why do I have the sneaky suspicion that the author of the article was trying to make an entirely different point?

I am pleased to see that the Second Amendment Foundation is supporting Ms. Katz. Interestingly enough, though, I cannot find any indication that the NRA is. Oh, never mind--that would apparently violate the NRA's principles:
First, we believe in absolutely gun-free, zero-tolerance, totally safe schools. That means no guns in America's schools, period ... with the rare exception of law enforcement officers or trained security personnel.
Yeah--that has been working beautifully--now if only you could get the psychos on board with the plan, Wayne.

Maybe the NRA can file a legal brief in support of the school district's position. Heck, maybe Wayne and Paul Helmke can write it together.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly why I left the NRA, I can be betrayed by people I don't pay to do it.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

I hear you, SA. I keep thinking that they'll wise up, and replace LaPierre with someone closer in principle (and in having principles) to the late Neal Knox.

A man can dream.

Martin Vennard said...

Hi, I work for BBC World Service radio in London and today (Friday) between 1.30pm and 2pm East Coast Time in the States we will be talking to Shirley Katz live in our international discussion programme, World Have Your Say. She is the Oregon teacher who wants to be able to take a gun to school for her own protection. If you would like to take part in the discussion, please email your phone numbers to martin.vennard@bbc.co.uk or call me on +442085761720.
Many Thanks
Martin Vennard

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Thank you for contacting me, Mr. Vennard. I have sent you an email suggesting you contact a far more capable spokesman, David Codrea, of War on Guns.

Anonymous said...

Oregon Constitution, Article I:

Section 27. Right to bear arms; military subordinate to civil power. The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defence [sic] of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power[.]

Strongly worded, too.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Strongly worded, too.

I'll say. I'm jealous--look at my fascist state's version.

SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS

Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. (Source: Illinois Constitution.)


The clause I emphasized was added in 1970, and basically serves to remove any protection of the right to keep and bear arms (which was exactly the intent, of course).

If SCOTUS grants cert for DC v. Heller, and if freedom wins, I can only hope that the next line of battle is incorporation of the Second Amendment.