Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

We're the Only Ones with secret performance evaluations enough

I don't usually do "Only Ones" posts (one reason being my inability to come up with titles half as catchy as David's), but this is something I stumbled on in my own Area of Operations. As part of my (small) contribution to the work we do at Illinois Carry, I (along with a bunch of others) keep an eye, every legislative session, on all the bills introduced, in order to see which ones will affect gun rights, and thus require action on our part.

As I was going through a block of bills for which I'm responsible, I stumbled on one that doesn't really have anything to do with gun rights, but caught my eye anyway: SB 3040

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Freedom of Information Act. Exempts from disclosure information relating to performance evaluations of law enforcement officers covered by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board and sworn peace officers employed by the State. Effective immediately.
Can't have the uppity peasants getting too much information about their betters' paid enforcers now, can we?

The bill was actually introduced by my own state senator. Senator Haine has been pretty good on gun issues, although I do remember he seems to have a soft spot for "Only Ones," and for giving them special dispensations--he signed a letter asking for leniency for three Illinois State Troopers caught with illegal machine guns. A doctor was also caught in that bust, but the letter didn't mention giving the non-"Only One" any breaks.

2 comments:

Kevin Wilmeth said...

Prima facie evidence that the system is hopelessly rigged. You cannot simply write, enforce and judge your own "fix" to a "problem" unless you control the entire apparatus unilaterally, without constraint.

"Can't have the uppity peasants getting too much information about their betters' paid enforcers now, can we?"

It is really encouraging to see naked tyranny called out for what it is, without apology. Nicely said.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Hey--thanks for coming by, Kevin, and for the encouragement.