Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Maybe we just like making you sick to your stomach, Dwight

Dwight Lewis starts a column titled "Why do we make it easy for killers?" by claiming a very odd medical condition.

Gun advocates can make me sick to my stomach. And not far behind are those who still can't get over the fact that the South lost the Civil War.
He goes on to explain that last Wednesday, he received notice (via an email from Hillary Clinton's press office) about the shooting of Arkansas Democratic Party chairman Bill Gwatney. Then, just over an hour later, he got another email, this one from the Second Amendment Foundation, promoting their book, America Fights Back: Armed Self-Defense in a Violent Age. This offends Dwight. Not, we're apparently expected to believe, because of the message (despite the pretty clear implication that he strongly disagrees with that message), but because of the timing.
Give me a break, please. Just an hour or so earlier, it had been reported that a gunman had burst into the state Democratic Party headquarters in Little Rock, Ark., and shot Gwatney, the party chairman.
Apparently, no one should promote gun rights advocacy literature shortly after someone gets shot. Keep in mind that as far as I know, SAF doesn't send email to people who don't subscribe to their email alerts, so it's not as if they're SPAMming his inbox uninvited.

That incident wasn't the end of Dwight's stomach troubles Wednesday.
It's not only the Second Amendment Foundation that makes me sick when it comes to gun advocates, it's the National Rifle Association, as well.
What did the bad old NRA do to his poor stomach (beyond the mere fact of their existence, which I suspect is nearly enough to put him off his feed by itself)?
Last Wednesday, the NRA claimed Sen. Barack Obama's campaign is trying to mislead voters in Montana about his past support of gun control, calling Obama "a poster child of the extremist, elitist gun control movement.''

America needs more "extremist, elitist gun control'' people to help stop the killing of such people as Bill Gwatney, not laws that will enable more people to own guns and then kill people with them.
The last part of that last sentence is kind of interesting, I thought: " . . . laws that will enable more people to own guns and then kill people with them." I'm having trouble coming up with many laws that "enable more people to own guns," (and especially "and then kill people with them"). You don't need laws to enable gun purchases, you just have to have an absence of laws preventing it (or trying to prevent it, as if prohibition laws ever accomplish their stated goals). Pretty indicative of the statist mindset--they always think in terms of passing more laws, even if the goal is decreased regulation.

Read the column to see his . . . interesting objections to people who wish to wear items commemorating the Confederate States of America. The best part is probably this:
Yes, I'm a free-speech advocate, but for an 18-year-old to claim he is fighting for "my heritage and my rights as a Southerner and an American'' is a bunch of bull.
A "free-speech advocate" who apparently will let you know what you can and cannot freely say. I'm not a big fan of Confederate flag clothing, but people wear lots of things that I find offensive.

I happen to be aware that the right to never be offended is one that I don't have. I can live with that.

4 comments:

the pistolero said...

I said it elsewhere and I'll say it here -- that's the first time I've ever seen anyone use the First Amendment to take a dump on BOTH the First and Second Amendments.

Anonymous said...

Wonder if it occurred to him Gwatney being unarmed wasn't helpful, at least not for Gwatney.

Boy that would really make him sick.

Elm Creek Smith said...

From your link, I like the "Che is dead - get over it" t-shirt!

"I gotta get me one a these!"

ECS

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Yeah--I didn't mean to imply that that one is among those that I find offensive--that one is pretty cool.