Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Methodists for unopposed church massacres

It seems that at the North Georgia Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, a resolution has been adopted to attempt to maintain the state-mandated defenseless victim zone status of Georgia churches.

"Whereas bringing concealed weapons into the church sends a message that is at odds with what the church wants to communicate and violates the religious character of religious property, and;

Whereas the work of the church does not involve or require weapons;

Now be it resolved that the delegates to the 2008 session of the North Georgia Annual Conference oppose any attempts by the state legislature to allow anyone other than law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons in houses of worship;

And be it further resolved that we invite members of other churches and faiths in Georgia to join us in this effort."
I'm not sure of the exact date of this conference--it may have been before the butchery of congregants at a Unitarian Universalist church in Knoxville, Tennessee, late last month. Even if so, though, there are plenty of other examples of what happens when the evil person is the only one armed.

There are, of course, also examples of what happens when evil does not have a monopoly on force. The courageous defense of her fellow parishioners by concealed carry permit holder and private citizen Jeanne Assam comes to mind.

Apparently, though, North Georgia Methodists prefer outcomes like the one in Tennessee to the one in Colorado. It's disgusting, inexplicable, and just plain twisted that they would wish such defenselessness on their own congregants.

What is evil, though, is that they would impose it on every other church in the state, as well.

6 comments:

the pistolero said...

The United Methodist Church's support for gun control is quite well-known, so I must say this doesn't surprise me. I've blogged about it before myself.

Anonymous said...

Those of us who refuse to be disarmed victims have at least one other option... to stay home on Sunday or find a meeting of like minds elsewhere.

I carry my .45 to church openly, and sit at the back to watch for any chance of trouble. My congregation is grateful.

Fortunately, I live in Wyoming where open carry is not regulated by anything except respect for private property. If my gun isn't welcome, then neither am I. I never leave home without it.

Vote with your feet. Do not consent to be a disarmed victim.

Anonymous said...

Gotta wonder what God thinks of his pastors who place such little value on the lives of His flock, don't you?

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

It's really something I just can't wrap my head around. As Pistolero says, the position is fairly consistent with what that church has espoused in the past, but that doesn't make it any easier for me to comprehend what they apparently perceive to be a moral obligation to meekly die when attacked.

Home on the Range said...

I don't go to any place where I am sitting with a bunch of people, unarmed, free to be picked off by someone wishing to make the news.

Malls, no loss. But now I can't even feel safe in a church. So I worship alone.

[Luke 11:21] When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Anonymous said...

"straightarrow said...

Gotta wonder what God thinks of his pastors who place such little value on the lives of His flock, don't you?"

Why would someone in favor of gun control say this? What do sheep do? They flock together.