Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Thursday, May 07, 2009

H.R. 2202: bribing gun owners into defenselessness at home

My concern is that measures such as this will perpetuate the flawed notion that safety--particularly child safety--is enhanced not by teaching responsibility, and respect for the power of firearms, but by keeping them inaccessible. That attitude has, in fact, become so well entrenched that it's widely accepted as a matter of course. Don't try to sell that idea to the Carpenter family, though. I have already discussed that tragic story (as has my Charlotte Gun Rights Examiner colleague, Paul Valone, in much greater detail), so I won't do so again here. Suffice it to say that neither "Child Safety" or "Home Security" was served by keeping guns locked up, and not quickly accessible.

Finally, although the title I used for this article calls this measure a bribe, a more cynical view of taxation might lead to calling it something else. Taxes, after all, take your money from you. H.R. 2202 would simply provide the gun owning taxpayer with the means to appease the IRS with less money than they would otherwise take. [More]
That's today's St. Louis Gun Rights Examiner column. I hope you'll consider it worth your time.

Digg me?



0 comments: