Mission statement:

Armed and Safe is a gun rights advocacy blog, with the mission of debunking the "logic" of the enemies of the Constitutionally guaranteed, fundamental human right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

I can be reached at 45superman@gmail.com.You can follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/45superman.

Friday, May 08, 2009

NRA sabotaging grassroots effort for defensive handgun carry in Illinois?

HB2257 started off with good promise, the sponsor reported he felt sure he could garner the 60 votes needed to pass it out of the House. So it came as a huge shock and disappointment to learn from legislators that the NRA was actually lobbying against it.

When contacted by lllinoisCarry the NRA-ILA lobbyist confirmed the NRA-ILA was indeed lobbying against the bill and vowed to kill it. The reason given for the opposition was that the bill did not include statewide preemption, that it would create a patchwork of ordinances all across the state which could be detrimental to license holders, and it would ultimately be vetoed by Gov. Quinn and still need 71 votes for a veto override. Therefore we should continue to wait and work toward a change in the political makeup of the IL legislature. [More]
My first ever two column day at St. Louis Gun Rights Examiner. Some will no doubt dismiss this as part of my well established difficult relationship with NRA leadership, but that's not what this is about. I deliberately kept myself out of this fight as it developed, precisely because because of that. There comes a time, though, when silence is betrayal.

Digg me?



1 comments:

straightarrow said...

now all you need is for Melancton Smith to come over here and tell you tin foil hat is slipping. Go look at David's, Kurt.

Believe it, or not, those were my good sentiments cleaned up as much as I could. I am really tired of foppish assholes who keep a silk hanky in their sleeve and feel so superior to men.